SC - cooking laurels & drawn butter

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Sep 22 17:27:34 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Forgive me, good Mistress, but I feel I must disagree. Yes, if someone just
> cooks good meals for large groups but the meals are brisket, corn, potatoes,
> and jello. Then a Pelican would be more acceptable than a Laurel.

In my personal opinion, cooking such modern foods is not a service to
anyone at an SCA feast!

 But I have
> never felt that what I do is a service.  I feel that, even when I made
> "period-ish" food for a group that my cooking was still "art".

Granted, anyone who cooks feels they create an 'art'.  If one wants to
explore feast cooking as an 'art' then I ask this:  does this artisan
present their research that was done to others to teach them about the
foods they are eating?  Does this artisan solicit commentary from other
knowledgable artisans and laurels to get constructive criticism. This
allows one to grow within their field of expertise.  Is this artisan
writing articles or teaching classes at colleges or symposia?  If all
this is being done, then yes, If someone only cooks feasts then I would
gladly see them receive a laurel.

IF on the other hand, the individual in question still does period
feasts, research and such but does not share the information by either
writing an article, teaching a class. IF this individual does not seek
out other experts within the cooking field for critique then this
individual is providing a wonderful service for his kingdom and barony.
This should be rewarded with a service award, ie. the Pelican.
> s> I have never entered an A&S with food because I have never felt the need to.

Why not?  I would love to see more food entries in static A & S events.
Since cooking is your area of expertise, I think you have a lot to offer
other members of the society in this endeaver.  You can also meet others
that cook and share a wealth of information.  Why not consider
displaying at a Laurel's Prize Tourney?????

 My
> A&S entry is expirienced by 300 gentles and the commentary is usually direct.
> I am honored with awards for A&S for cookery, not service.

yes, your efforts are experienced by a large number of people. And yes,
you were given an award for cooking.... but, that doesn't mean you are
not providing a service to this kingdom and the society by cooking
feast... you are!  What you do adds so much to the ambience of an event.

Commentary can also be direct and critique can be so helpful at an A&S
event as well.

> My work with food is an art and my feasts I hope to be exalted displays of art,
> if my art benefits and improves an event then so much the better.  If a weaver
> works for a year creating a huge tapestry of the kingdom's arms, should that
> weaver then recieve a service award?

If said weaver works his craft and only donates his finished product to
the kingdom regalia, then yes, they deserve a service award. If on the
other hand, this weaver teaches people about her craft, writes articles,
etc. Then they should be considered for an arts award.

I think that it is the intent and content
> of the gift to the SCA which should be judged.

But it is a gift... not an item on display for people to look at and
learn from.

> Please remember that these words are from someone who never aspires to the
> Laurelate 'cause I just ain't that good.

Come on Gunter.... You don't need to say that to have me or anyone else
pat you on the back.

  But my feasts are gifts to the Kingdom
> of the only art I know.
>
> This is in no way meant as an insult toward you, but I just had to voice a
> counter-point.

No insult taken. Guess we may have to agree to disagree...

meadhbh