SC - Brussel Sprouts and plant abuse

Griff41520@aol.com Griff41520 at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 08:16:54 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> <<   I'm not a gardener, but I'm
>  finding it interesting that they're "currently" recommending not to
> pick
>  Brussels sprouts until after the first frost.  I read that in a
> medieval
>  source long before I saw it in a modern one.  <grin> >>
>
> Yep. This is true. If you wait until after froat to pick them they
> will have
> become sweet and succulent and will have lost any bitterness present.
>
> Lord Ras

Just a wierd sidebar- to get lots of little sprouts to grow on the
single stalk, did you know that they hire workers to go out and whop
them on top with baseball bats???! There is a farmer near me and I saw a
bunch of gus out hitting poor defenseless plants-I stopped and asked
what they were doing,, the mind boggles!

but it would be a great way for stick jocks to make a few extra
sheckles, i guess

margali