SC - Food lore

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 08:55:59 PDT 1997

Haikufu!

> I'm not even sure if black tea was consumed in period.  But... there are
> folks like me that cannot consume caffeine, and there are others (like
> Mormons) that are under religious stricture not to consume caffeine.
>
>         Tibor

	Depends on your culture, don't you know...

	Since I don't have much time this morning, and am being lazy, I'll just
quote from Cariadoc-dono's _Miscellany_ -

Tea

"The use of tea in China and Ceylon goes back to prehistoric times.
According to the Larousse, it was brought to Europe by
the Dutch in 1610 and to England in 1644. According to the OED, it was
first imported into Europe in the 17th century and
first mentioned in a European language (Portuguese) in 1559. The first
use of the word in English (in the form "Cha") is given as
1598; the passage seems to describe its use in China.

It appears that tea is out of period for European feasts and (since it
was being brought from China by sea rather than overland)
even further out of period for Islamic feasts. It is, of course, in
period for Chinese and Japanese feasts. So far as I know, iced
tea is a modern invention."

	Yumitori