SC - Commemorative Cooking

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Tue Sep 23 08:20:19 PDT 1997

    Ghee is the coagulated protein, and it
  > part of what makes Indian food so darned yummy.

  That's something I wasn't aware of. I understood ghee to be the "mostly
  butterfat" phase of the melted liquid, but the proteins should be living
  in with the other milk solids, down at the bottom, with a lot of water
  in the case of ordinary clarified butter, and as a somewhat caramelized
  sediment in the case of ghee. But with ghee, you filter the sediment
  out. It may have other culinary uses (would be great kneaded into
  chapatti or poori dough).

You understood differently, because I mis-remembered.  Ghee is drawn butter,
not the solids.  Sigh.  I hate brain failure.

	Tibor