Compost: was SC - bird or bay?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 24 05:09:49 PDT 1997

Cathy Harding wrote:

> Greetings all,
> I am going to be doing a lunch for about 14 people in a couple of weeks and
> thought I would use my latest aquisition ( a copy of ein guter spise).
> This weekend I showed the recipes to one of the persons in charge to see if
> any of the recipes apealed to her.  Her observation was that there were few
> or no recipes with vegetables (There are some no meat eaters in the group).
> My question is does anyone know of german vegetable recipes from this time
> period?

>From a friends book in german entitled Mideviel Cookbook there is a Pea Soup
recipe we found wonderful. Sorry I don't have the original german or a litteral
translation, only my poor attempt, but here goes any (and it was good)

250 g Fresh (or frozen peas if you must) Peas
2 onions
40 g butter
1.25 Litres Stock (we used vegatable stock)
1 strand Saffron
Pepper t taste
2 T. Muscatel ( Sweet White Wine)
1 bunch Parsley
40 g bread crumbs

Oions peeled and finely chopped. in butter fry until clear, then add the peas.
Add stock, pepper, saffron, Muscatel and simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat.

for clear soup add parsley and serve.

for thicker soup, sprinkle bread crumbs over soup with parsley and stir in. Cook
for 15 minutes more.

Note: we cooked the soup and took off the heat for about 2 hours  before a quick
reheat beore serving. None came back to the kitchen.

Another is Leek Greens

600 g Leek whites
30 g rice flour
salt, pepper, nutmeg, basil to taste

Clean leeks and cut into fine rings. Mix in rice flour. Make almond milk by
mixing 75 g Almond powder, 250 ml wine, 1 tsp Almond essence, 1 tsp sugar
together very well. Pour over the leeks with the spices and stew on very low
heat until leeks are done.

Note: we mixed it all up, and set it aside until 20 minutes before serving so
that it went out immediatly after cooking.

Baked Mushrooms, mushrooms dragged first through egg whites, then a thin wine
batter and fry in hot oil....

Carrots in an Orange Sauce with raisins and orange peel..

I have more but out of time right now. Hope this helps.

Nicolette

- --
Rudolf von der Drau and Nicolette Dufay
Baron and Baroness, Stormhold