Compost: was SC - bird or bay?

Wed Sep 24 08:43:51 PDT 1997

"Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> writes:
> Dear Ladies, I am enchanted by this idea which I have never come across.
> Do you use straight rum or cut it with water?  Is the crock loosely or
> tightly covered?  Are the citrus slices rind-on?  If so, how quickly
> does the alcohol soften the rind?
i havn't had my rum fruit pot for a while, but when i did i used
berry (hmmm. is a grape a berry?), melon, pear, and apples... never
citrus, but then i don't see why not.

Personally, i'd keep 5 pots going:
All berry (dried rasins as well)
All melon
All "white flesh fruit" (pear/apple)
All citrus
Mix of the above

i would use 1 1:1:1 ratio of fruit:sugar:rum (80 proof)
(use less sugar for lighter syrup, but perhaps 100 or 150 rum as the
heavy syrup acts as a preservative)

Keep in the fridge in tightly covered jar...

it's delicious ofver vanilla ice-cream....especially the berry or melon.

works pretty well in bread pudding (english style, with a goodly
amount of custard.... yum!)

in service,
flip... thankful lunch is in .5 hours. :)