SC - Return of the Dread Recipe Challenge

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 24 10:24:46 PDT 1997

Hello,

The topic of Pelican vs. Laurel can be heated and extend beyond the bounds
of gentle discourse.  I agree with much that Mistress Meadhbh has to say, I
just felt that some of the criteria for making cooking more A&S was different.
Any other discussion could be done privately.

However, I made a mistake on the wording of one statement and I would like to
clarify.

> > Please remember that these words are from someone who never aspires to the
> > Laurelate 'cause I just ain't that good.

To which Mistress Meadhbh responded:

> Come on Gunter.... You don't need to say that to have me or anyone else
> pat you on the back.

The statement was written in haste after a bit of a rant and upon reading it for
the second time I blushed greatly. Although I found Meadhbh's statement a bit
condecending, it was a proper slap for the statement as written.  This statement
also inspired commentary from Master Adamantius and Ld. Kihe.

What I meant to say was not a request for a "pat on the back" but more of an
apology of someone who is not a Laurel for debating on what should be criteria
for such a position.

I sometimes feel as if I appeared to be a "Laurel-climber" for starting this list
and for doing all the cooking stuff I do.  The truth of the matter is that I'm
really not looking for a Laurel or even particularly wanting one. I have enough
trouble with the one Peerage I already have.  I'm insanely proud of my Iris
and truly feel that is all I wish to have.  I started this list because I didn't
know of any other such list out there.  I do feasts because they are fun and
because I have a talent at them.  The "I just ain't that good" comment was truly
meant as a compliment to those experts here. If I were to be given a Laurel, I
would be embarassed to announce it here.  It was not a request for defense or
even false modesty, just a statement.  Someday I hope to know enough for people
to think I should have a Laurel, but the award is not my goal.

I hope I didn't just dig a deeper hole.

Yers,

Gunthar