SC - Ein Guter Spise

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Wed Sep 24 20:21:11 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter 9/24/97 3:12 PM

>The "Chicken in Pastry" dish you are referring to is nothing more
>than a slightly changed Icelandic Chicken.
>
>The recipe is quite simple and well known to many members of this
>List.
>
>Take a poached chicken breast, wrap in bacon, place a couple of sage leaves
>around and wrap in a pastry dough.
>
>The difference we did at Artisan was that after we redacted the recipe
>we found the pastry very tough and unappealing. So we substituted a cold
>water pastry that used 1/2 butter and 1/2 sour cream.  It was light,
>tender and very good.
>
>We later decided that the dough in the original recipe was probably mainly
>used as a cooking device and the chicken was removed from the "shell" and
>eaten seperately. The pastry given to the poor.

I agree that the Icelandic Chicken's dough recipe is not very good.  This
recipe by the way can be found in Caridoc's miscellany on the web.   When
I make Lombard chicken pasties I use a pie crust recipe for the dough and
have done so with the Icelandic chicken as well. I usually cook a half
chicken with sage leaves on the bottom and bacon on the top and then
wrapped in the pie crusts.  This seems to work well and the dough has
better flavour for us modern types that like to eat the dough.

Baroness Clarissa di Firenze
Seneschal, Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra