SC - Re: pickles

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 25 13:01:27 PDT 1997

 ---Phyllis Spurr <PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us> wrote:
>> it from the apothecaries. To this day some consider a
>> spoonful of molasses
>> or treacle to be medicinal!
>> Aoife---brain packed with all sorts of useless trivia.
>
>Just as a note, I grew up in Kentucky/Indiana area, and our
>grandmother insisted we were to take "spoonful" of molasses in the
>fall and spring to insure our good health.  It couldn't be any 'ol
>molasses, it had to be specifically blackstrap molasses.  I can
>still taste that stuff!

Eowyn, my forebears may have been filtered through Missouri and
Arkansas along the way, but the folk wisdom remained the same.
I've heard this before as well, although Grandpap didn't insist
upon others consuming *his* blackstrap. (I believe that the one
tin lasted nearly ten years, without refrigeration and in a
farmhouse that was still a few years short of being even
partially air-conditioned.)

If memory serves (for once, please?), I recall some discussion
that the sulphur content -- and some yeastie-beastie tagalongs --
really ARE medicinal in nature. AND are particularly efficacious
in the autumnal and vernal seasons.

I'll keep my eye out for citations and my ear open for oral
traditions.

I've little doubt that humans have extracted every usable form
of sweetener from every imaginable substance since nearly the
beginning of time. However, in combination with the recent
commentary concerning the production of sugar-plate and other
confections, does anyone following this list have a best or
favorite tertiary source compilation documenting the advancing
tide of technology in seeking out and refining natural sources
of the sweets I must now be so cautious in consuming?

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!