SC - Burned Rice-saving

Fri Sep 26 10:12:16 PDT 1997

Yes, we always use real butter in the shortbread.  But I've been using
the same brand of margarine in the choc-chip cookies for years, and I do
still occasionally get a "right" batch currently.  So unless they've
changed the formula without saying anything...  The local food sections
in the newspapers have been doing an annual article about the
differences in butter brands and formulations and what it means to
baking for a while now.   Thanks for all the hints, and sorry to have
gotten off-topic, but ch-ch are our standard, about 2 batches a week.
8-)

Chimene
 ----------
| From: Marisa Herzog
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: Re: SC - Shortbread help, p
| Date: Friday, September 26, 1997 8:38AM
|
|                       RE>>SC - Shortbread help, please
9/26/97

| <snip>
| > to?  because I'm creaming the sugars and marg. too well, not leaving
| <snip>
| just caught the reference to margarine- the copy of my mother's recipe
for
| short bread (her maiden name is McMichael, and this is supposed to be
an
| actual scottish recipe, tho' proportions are not any different than
most other
| recipes) cautions *only* to use butter or suffer dire consequences. ;)
|  -brid
| (still trying to explain to her husband that butter and margarine
*are*
| different)

SCA-Cooks".