SC - rum

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Mon Sep 29 07:51:03 PDT 1997

Aine of Wyvernwood wrote:

> > Thousand-year-old eggs
>
> you make the above by cracking the boiled egg and steeping it in hideously
> strong black tea.  That is what gives the egg its distinctive crackling.
>
> I made these for a wedding using qual eggs...had to ask the local chinese
> rest.  how to do it.....came out looking great....
> aine

Thousand-year-old eggs are made by burying raw eggs (usually duck) in,
or smearing them with, a particularly alkaline mud. The alkalai
denatures the proteins, effectively "cooking" the eggs, as with seviche.
The process actually takes about two months, I believe, although they
will keep at room temperature for quite a while. Personal observation
indicates they keep for at least six months to a year.

Tea eggs, on the other hand, are made as you describe, and are equally
yummy in their way.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com