SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #316

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Sep 29 11:33:31 PDT 1997

I'm afraid I'm going to open up another black hole kind of argument here,
but...

your problem, murkial, was in how you boiled the turnips.  turnips (at
least here in colorado) need to be boiled in at -least- two and more
likely three waters to get rid of the bitter taste.  i peel them, bring
them to a boil, drain them, cover with cold water, and then do it again.
the third time i let them boil five minutes or so.  not tender, but not
hard either.

we had -very- good luck with armoured turnips beer, butter, spices and
cheese.  also, we jullienned them rather than just slicing them - made
them look a little more acceptable to folks who wanted "a taste" rather
than a great big lump of a serving.

we had, i swear it!, -none- of these left over after the feast.

elaina