SC - mormons & honey taffy

Erin Kenny Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca
Tue Sep 30 01:26:34 PDT 1997

Back on Tuesday, Sept. 23, Lord Ras answered my questions on
frying vs. deep frying. Thank you Ras for the good clarification.

It does bring to mind some more questions, though.

If the cuts of food are not chunks but rather slices or lozenges, try to
determine from the recipe if these cuts are dipped in batter or breaded or if
the food is an integral part of a mixture (e.g. frittours; scotch eggs) which
calls for frying. If this is the case, then, IMO, deep frying would be
indicated.

I have several recipes for Scotch Eggs scattered through my files. But
I believe these are all modern recipes. If Scotch Eggs are indeed
period, can anyone point me toward a period recipe or post the period
recipe or translation here?

 The negative side of Olive oil is a low smoking point...
<<<<

What exactly is the smoking point? I assume this is the temperature
when the oil will begin to burn on it's own. Correct? Then when would
you want to use an oil with a low smoking point vs. one with a higher
smoking point? Or is this more of a side concern and what you usually
use to determine use is something like cost or taste?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com