SC - Penny Loaf

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 16:27:12 PDT 1997

<< Were what we now call bay leaves used as a food flavoring by the
 European cultures before 1600 AD? >>

Bay leaves were used as a flavoring agent for food in very late period and
during the time of the Roman Empire. The bay laurel tree is native to the
Mediteranean basin.
 From the time of the collapse of the Roman Empire until very late in period
bay laurel was used almost exclusively as a medicinal and appears in several
recipes for medicines but was not consumed as a food item. However, there are
a very few indications that some Italian usage of Bay as a seasoning survived
the Roman Empire in an extremely limited way.

Bay laurel, like cloves and nutmeg, has certain properties which would render
it's classification as a "poison" more nearly correct; and; when consumed in
large quantities can be fatal.

Viscountess Judith has provided me with several references along these lines
and I can post them if you would like me to.

Lord Ras