SC - Problem Spices (WAS: need willowbark)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 16:37:37 PDT 1997

<< What exactly is the smoking point?>>

The smoking point of oil or fat is the point at which it produces noticible
smoke from it's surface.

<< I assume this is the temperature when the oil will begin to burn on it's
own. Correct? >>

Correct.-)

<<Then when would you want to use an oil with a low smoking point vs. one
with a higher smoking point? >>

Ideally, you would want to use a deep-frying medium that had a HIGH smoking
point (e.g. peanut oil).. However, the choice of high smoking point fats was
extremely limited (if not non-existent) during the Middle Ages.

<<Or is this more of a side concern and what you usually use to determine use
is something like cost or taste? >>

This is of course a subjective obsevation. Personally, I use lard if I am
cooking for crowds or special friends because the flavor imparted by this
particular fat is unequaled by any other available choice. If I am pinching
pennies , the necessary criteria is based on economics of course.

Since the price of lard is sincreasing, I often times ask my butcher for any
pig-fat he can spare. This is usually provided freely because beef-fat is
used more often in groudmeat mixtures. I then render my own lard.

I hope this answers your questions.

Lord Ras