Re- SC - Spices

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Sep 3 14:02:10 PDT 1997

Lord Ras said:

How about an ounce of 'true cinnamon' sticks? Compared to cassia these sticks
lack the bitterness and bite usually associated with modern cinnamon (e.g.
cassia) and provide a decidedly sweet taste on the finish that is sadly
lacking in cassia. A pound of sea salt, a couple of licorice sticks and
bottle of first pressing olive oil should top it off. :-)
<<<<<<<

I know that we talked about the different types of cinnamon here, a while
back. I know because those messages are now in my files. :-) But how does
one use these sticks of cinnamon in cooking? For cooking, I've usually used
the powdered kind that comes in jars or cans. I have tossed the sticks into
mead and apple juice and such. Do you break open the sticks and scrape
the powder off? Put it in the food and cook it like bay leaves and then
remove it?

And what do you mean by licorice sticks? When I think of licorice sticks
I think of the long red or black "noodles". But I thought those were a
candy. Perhaps these are like modern marshmallows are to the real thing?

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com