SC - Tip o' the Day idea

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 9 06:53:28 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << I like the idea of the Tip of The Day, BTW. We could get all psychotic
>  and Martha Stewarty on everybody, but I look lousy in a straightjacket.
>
>  Adamantius >>
>
> Oh, come on now. It'd be fun, educational and, personally, I look OK in
> white.
>
> Seriously tho', could the references in Apicius to pre-cooked spelt when
> making dumplings be referring to puff pastry dough? Tried it in Vehlings
> BookII, Number 46, and incorporated the scallops , pepper and eggs into the
> dough. Dropped it by tblspns into hot fat (olive oil). It turned out
> great....what do you think?
>
> Lord Ras

Hmmm. First, for the record, it sounds really tasty. However, spelt is a
variety of soft wheat (high starch, low protein) that the Romans would
probably have obtained from Germany and Gaul. Precooked, it would
presumably be kind of like porridge. Ultimately I suspect we are talking
about something like the oatmeal you sometimes find in black or white
puddings. If the porridge were thick enough, one could chill it and roll
it out like a dough (onto a piece of floured cloth or parchment,
preferably) and wrap it around a filling to make a sort of rissole.

I'm not quite sure which recipe you are using, though, because it seems
as if Vehling is organized a bit differently from the Flower and
Rosenbaum version.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com