SC - Caul-not pleasant

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 10 07:52:53 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << What is "caul fat"? >>
>
> It is actually not fat but a membrane describedd by the American College
> Dictionary as follows:
>
> caul, n. a part of the amnion sometimes covering the head of a childd at
> birth, superstitiously supposed to bring good luck and to be an infallible
> preservative against drowning.
>
> :-). I use the term to describe the fatty membranes that hold the internal
> organs together.If there is another term for such a mambrane or the caul
> spoken of in the reciept is actual caul as described above, please let me
> know. If it were real caul used in the Apicius reciept that could account for
> the Christian myths of 'pagans eating their young'. :-0
>
> Lord Ras

Caul fat can be any of several abdominal membranes, almost always those
of pigs. They are a thin, elastic sheet of transparent membrane, similar
to sausage casing, covered with veins of white fat which makes the whole
thing vaguely reminiscent of lace, which is why some people call it lace
fat. It is frequently known as mesentery, too. French recipes generally
use the term "crepin".

Besides, I thought pagans ate soupe a la paysanne, with things like
onions and turnips roasted in the ashes. Or am I confusing pagans with
"the heathen" in that last bit ;  )  ? And Lord Ras knows well that's
it's Ostgardrians like myself who eat babies...but we generally hush
that up and call it veal.

Adamantius, whose own kid has suddenly gone from a broiler/fryer to
being a roaster, in the blink of an eye. Another opportunity missed...

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com