Bacon substitute (was Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #258)

Nick Sasso grizly_nick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 10:55:50 PDT 1997

>> Thanks for the idea. I was wondering if you think that fresh strips
of
>> side
>> pork could be used for the same purpose? The smoky qualitty of the
>> bacon
>> tends to make me somewhat hesitant ......
>> Lord Ras

>Uduido at aol.com wrote:
>You could if you had a meat slicer, to get really thin slices from
>fatback can be tricky. Not all bacons are smoked however. I sort of
>like the bacony taste in my cod  shrimp and scallop chowders as i >dont
really use a lot it never gets overly strong.

>margali

Good gentles,

May I suggest pancetta as a delightfully suitable substitute for the
bacon?  This Italian 'bacon' is cured, but not smoked, leaving the sweet
pork flavor intact.  You find it in rolls rather than slabs, and can get
your butcher to slice it wafer thin if necessary.  It is a wonderous
gift of my homeland in central Italy, and a boon to cooks everywhere.

fra niccolo difrancesco