SC - Re:Slug-fest '97

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Sep 12 04:36:25 PDT 1997

Slugs aren't all that uncommon as food in 3rd world countries.

>So far as to the edibility of slugs> they harbor vicious parasites of man on
>a grand scale and would not recommend then experiment unless you were
>p[ositively sure they were disease free. I have eaten many things including
>bee larvae deep-fried (Yummmmmm!!!!!) but would not consider slugs unless
>they were certified disease free.
>
>Lord Ras

I am reminded of a photo in a series of books about an (modern)explorer we
just got in at the Library. Can't think of the name off hand,  but there is
a photo of one of his native 'helpers' holding a huge fat white slug. It's
rigid and bumpy, and bigger than his hand by several inches. The caption
reads something like "You bite the head off, like the tip of a cigar, and
spit it out. Then you consume the slug raw. It tastes like bacon."
And now that you're all completely repulsed.......PLEEEEEEASE let's talk
about something NICE.

How 'bout this:  Cabbage Cream. Has anyone tried to do this on a grand
scale? I sort of fancy doing this as part of a dessert for an event, and I
think if I can use a wide, flat pan (steamer table) I could get enough
'leaves' out of one batch to serve 6-8 tables. Even if it went wrong, I'd
still have clouted cream, another period delicacy. Any thoughts?

BTW Cabbage Cream: A cream concoction whereby the cream is heated slowly (on
top of a layer of milk) until the surface becomes thick and wrinkly, like a
cabbage leaf. The layer is then carefully lifted off and served on a plate,
usually with sugar, etc. and sometimes in a puddle of raw cream. I'm
picturing this with something raspberry (or other red fruit) along side it,
for color contrast. There I go with Aethelmearc colors again.

Aoife

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
				---Alexandre Dumas

Experience is simply the name we give to our mistakes.
				---Oscar Wilde

Hold tight, Grommit. Think of Lancashire Hotpot.
				---Wallace, A Grande Day Out