SC - Columbus menu II

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 10:40:12 PDT 1997

<< Trying to pass off a given variety of New World squash
 as dating to Roman tables would be just plain stupid.

The original thread had nothing to do with the subject you brought up,
although recipes dating from period using the foods you so vehemently defend
are non-existent. In your example above which we agree  on, Vehling's
translation of Apicius blatantly makes this error a number of times. I ,
pwersonally would like to stick to period recipes. Conjecture about whether
an item was used for food or not during late period is just that. Certain
items like tomatos and potatoes were  used mainly for ddecorative plants much
as we use marigolds. And corn was regularly consumed by humans except in
Italy until well after period.

Lord Ras