nutritional content (was: SC - Re: Shameless plugs!)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Mon Sep 15 07:38:46 PDT 1997

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Maddie Teller-Kook wrote:

> Ok, so you want nutritional info...  This is one is based on the Brie
> Tart recipe from Pleyn Delit. I had it set for six servings.  Here is
> what I came up with:
>
> Calories (kcal)	249.7
> Total fat (g):	18.6
> Carbohydrates (g):	11.1
> Protein (g):		9.2

IIRC you would not normally utilize the protein component for energy
metabolism. The difference might be minor (214 kcal v.s. the 250 kcal
given), but might be significant for foods with a more moderate fat
content and more protein.

The potential energy from the above is:

carbohydrates: 	11.1 g x 4.17 kcal/g = 46.3 kcal
fat:		18.6 g x 9 kcal/g =   167.4 kcal
- ------------------------------------------------
Total available:		      213.7 kcal

The potential (9.2 g protein x 4 kcal/g protein =) 36.8 kcal from the
protein is normally _not_ utilized as an energy source, but rather as a
source of amino acids.

/UlfR
(cert. picker of nits)

- --