SC - 13th-Century Andalusian Sugar Candy

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 15 14:34:45 PDT 1997

Greetings!  Here's the recipe (my translation) from the 13th-century
Anonymous Manuscript.  Charles Perry holds the copyright for what is in
Cariadoc's _Collection_ but a bunch of us did the initial translations
from Spanish to English.

"Figures dressed in sugar"

Cast to the sugar a similar amount of water or rose water and cook
until its height is good.  Tip it over into the mould and make of it
whatever shape is in the mould, in the hidden places and those visible
and whatever it seems on the dish that you want, because it comes out
of the mould in the best way.  Then decorate it with gilt and whatever
you want of it.  If you want to make a tree or a figure of a castle,
cut it piece by piece.  Then decorate it room by room (section by
section) and stick it together with mastic until you complete the
figure you want, if God wills.

>From this I would assume that moulds of some sort are used.  In England
at a later date moulds would be made of wood or plaster.  Wooden ones
would be soaked for up to a day and moulds would come in at least two,
if not three, parts.  Hollow figures were made in England by twirling
the mould overhead or in one's hands.

>From this recipe one can deduce that models of castles were made, that
trees, furniture, figures were cast or made in some fashion, and that
gilding the figures was done.  There isn't any mention here of coloring
the figures as there is in _Curye on Inglysch_.

Alys Katharine