SC - Julleran's Sugar/Candy Glass

Tue Sep 16 07:32:01 PDT 1997

Alys Katherine wrote:
  I have discovered that working with sugar syrup takes a lot of
  practice.  One might "luck out" the first time trying this but
  subsequent repetitions might lead to "failures."  I would be extremely
  supportive of anyone who would like to go into sugar sculpture and
  cookery as a specialty!  FYI, recipe 15 tells about making "images in
  sugar" and gives colors to _paint_ on.

Hmmm.  Would my lady wife's Laurel for soteltie making be a good start?
(Well, she also cooks first rate feasts.)  Alys, I know you've seen pictures
of her work.

She and I, together, have made stained glass renditions of arms.  We made
marzipan for the "lead", and poured colored hard crack (technical term in
candymaking) sugar into the various pockets to form the arms.  It's messy,
but it seems to work adequately well.  Humidity can play hell with hazing,
though.

You can use food paste to make "food paint" with.  We mix it, or powder
colors with vodka for paint.

Julleran wrote:
  Would candy molds that you can buy at art stores work, or are they just
  for chocolates which I imagine would have lower temperatures than melted
  sugar?

Sugar does have a higher temperature than melted chocolate.  I don't think
those molds could withstand it: but I'd ask at the store.

                                                                    We had
  a long discussion at our Michaelmas event yesterday about doing an above
  the salt/below the salt feast next year and we came up with a lot of
  ideas for subtleties and deserts, but no know-how.

Julleran, contact me privately.  Perhaps I can hook you up with my wife.

	Tibor