SC - Re: Types of Feasts

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Sep 18 15:08:37 PDT 1997

On topic only in terms of setting up the feast hall, and
fond rememberance of a past feast...

- ---barbara at mail.topher.net wrote:
> Some years ago our shire held a Heraldic Symposium and Nightmare
> Ball (everyone was to come as their favorite Heraldic Nightmare),
> and we planned on doing as you discribe.  However we were over
> rulled by the populous who insisted on putting up tables and
> having a sit down feast (they went into the closet and got
> the tables out themselves.  Very strange).

Nope, just tired feet. At least in part. (Well, we had to
sit *somewhere* in order to eat and schmooze and watch high-order
humor such as the appearance of a certain Heraldic "Officer"
and the issuance of a citation...)

I do remember that as one of the better feasts I've enjoyed
in the SCA, foodwise.

>  Just thought it was interesting how
> things don't always go as planned.

You mean that they EVER go as planned? I Doubt It!

Requirements for an SCA feast-hall coordinator (not
necessarily the same as Head Cook, or - - - - -ocrat):
1. Willingness to work to someone else's plan for
   scheduling & setup
2. Willingness to adjust set-in-stone plan at the last minute
3. Willingness to adjust plan yet again upon the whim
   of the PowersThatBe, even after the majority of the
   seating has been claimed
4. Sufficient patience to survive and avoid choking the
   obstinancy out of some peer or peer-wannabe who tries
   to insist upon taking up ten seats space for a group of
   "oh, four to six, maybe"
5. Additional fortitude to beg, borrow, and cajole the last
   folk into the hall into taking open tables instead of
   trying to find their 30-seat household group and squeeze
   in three more bodies & table settings
6. And, of course, the graciousness to do it all over again
   the next time the originally-scheduled set-up team was
   last seen leaving site after a member has been felled
   by heat, medical condition, or sheer exhaustion of
   over-extended volunteerism. (Special note: must be able
   to avoid such over-extensions themselves!)

> Alys
> (was Aelfric, but Gunthar introduces me as Barbara, so I don't
> know who I am).

M'lady, those-who-count know who you are regardless of
whatever name(s) you currently answer to. And a good number
of the rest of us know, too. (And the *rest* [_me_] delivers
hugs as promised, when appropriate or requested.)
Thanks again for the great assistance you provided
in the kitchen at Artisan!

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!