SC - Danish cooking

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 18 12:29:28 PDT 1997

And it came to pass on 18 Sep 97, that Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> > FYI There are two 13th century Danish cookbooks floating wround somewhere
> > as well as an Old Icelandic Medical Book from roughly that period as well.
> > I recently read an article comparing the recipes from them with English and
> > French recipes of the same name.
> >
> > Clare St. John
>
> I would love to get my hands on these! Does anybody know how to get
> them?
>
> Gunthar

In "Du Manuscrit a la Table," a 1992 volume of essays on medieval
food published by the University of Montreal, there is an article on
this subject: "Sources of Medieval Cuisine in Denmark" by Bi Skaarup.

It mentions a collection of recipes, dating around 1300.  There are 2
different versions.  One has 25 recipes; the other, 31.  Both appear
to derive from a now-lost French cookbook.  According to a footnote,
Rudolf Grewe and Constance Hieatt are preparing a new edition of
these manuscripts.

Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net