SC - Types of Feasts...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 18 18:09:47 PDT 1997

ND Wederstrandt wrote:

> FYI There are two 13th century Danish cookbooks floating wround somewhere
> as well as an Old Icelandic Medical Book from roughly that period as well.
> I recently read an article comparing the recipes from them with English and
> French recipes of the same name.

All true. The only problem is that they appear to describe a cuisine
very different from what little we do know about Scandinavian eating
habits of the period. The combination of the ingredients used, the
similarity to some of the roughly contemporary French recipes that
exist, AND the fact that one of the manuscripts appears to have been
translated/copied by a Danish physician who went to medical school on
the Mediterranean coast (Montpelliere?), suggests the possibility that
these are, in fact, different Scandinavian manuscript copies of the same
Mediterranean cookbook.

Very, very, cool, though, nonetheless.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy