SC - recipe request (dessert, Irish/English or whatever)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 18:22:50 PDT 1997

<< I am an Irishman, looking to make an appropriate dessert for
 a potluck later next month.  I have 2 dogs, 4 cats and an
 8 month child, and a wife. . . I need something I can do in
 maybe an hour.  I am from the 12th century (~1130).

Greetings, fellow centuryman (born in 1135 myself..)

How about these:

FINNISH BERRY PUDDING (from Knowne World Handbook - I think it may be a
"modernized" variation of a Scottish dessert that involves oatmeal and
berries, but I'm not sure)
Ingredients:  3 cups strawberry or raspberry puree
	       4-6 Tbsp sugar
	       1/2 cup UNCOOKED Cream of Wheat
Special utensils: Electric beater
Quantity: 3-4 times the recipe feeds 60.
- - Bring puree to a boil over moderate heat and add sugar.  Add cream of wheat
and stir continuously.  Reduce heat and cook for 3-6 minutes, until mixture
becomes a thick puree.
- - Transfer to a large bowl.  Whip with an electric beater at high speed until
mixture
doubles in bulk and becomes light and fluffy.
- - Serve as soon as possible.  Delicious with a little whipped cream.  No one
would believe the ingredients if you told them.

For something more demonstrably period, and nearly as easy,
(From Pleyn Delit, attributed to "Ancient Cookery", which is appended to the
"Form of Curye" in the printed editions.)
"Chireseye
Take Chiryes at the Fest of Seynt John the Baptist and do away the stonys;
grynde hem in a morter, and after frot hem wel in a sieve so that the Jus be
wel comyn owt; and do than in a pot, and do therein feyr gres or Botor, and
bred of wastrel ymyncid, and of sugur a god party, and a porcion of wyn; and
wan it is wel ysoden and ydressed in Dyschis, stik therein clowis of Gilofre
and strew thereon sugur.

Cherry Bread Pudding
2 cups fresh sour pie cherries; stoned, or 20 oz (2 cans) pie cherries,
drained, plus the juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups breadcrumbs (we used wheat bread dried in the oven and crumbled)
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup red wine (or 1/2 cup wine plus 1/4 cup water or juice from canned
cherries)
1 tbsp butter

The easiest way to make this is with a blender: if you have one, put in all
the ingredients except butter and blend, then put in pan, adding butter.  If
not, mash the cherries and force through a strainer, then mix with other
ingredients before proceeding.  Cook, stirring constantly, over a medium fire
for about 5 minutes, or until well thickened.  Pour into a serving dish, or
individual dishes, and let cool - or chill in a refrigerator.  Sprinkle with
ground cloves (sparingly), if you wish, with or without extra sugar.  This is
particularly good served with cream - or with Creme Bastarde.
VARIATION
After stirring over heat for a moment or two, pour into a greased baking dish
and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Serve hot or cold."

Brangwayna Morgan