SC - deep frying

Fri Sep 19 10:14:30 PDT 1997

  What does the deep frying do that frying in s shallower pot doesn't?

It immerses the entire item in a high temperature fluid.  In ordinary
sauting, or whatever, only a small percentage of the item is exposed to that
high heat.

  This seems awfully wasteful of oil, especially if you are only cooking
  a few items. Someone mentioned that you could filter the oil for reuse?
  How do you do that? Drain it through a colander lined with paper towels?
  What then, is this oil only good for future deep frying or can it be
  used for other things?

It does get flavored, and it will (after a time) decompose the fats in the
oil, making it darker and less flavorful, and less capable of holding
precise temperatures.

  Was deep frying period? It seems expensive in oil, but I guess in some
  areas olive oil was common.

I dimly recall Master Cariadoc telling a story from Al-Andalus about how a
woman was given with a dowery of two gigantic containers of oil.  She made
her husband a wonderful eggplant dish with it as their first meal together,
and he demanded it every night.  By the fourth night, the dowery was gone.

I don't know what this reveals, besides greasy eggplant, but I suspect that
it reveals frying was used.

	Tibor