SC - oat recipe

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Sep 19 13:05:04 PDT 1997

Oatcakes are traditional Scottish fare, somewhat descended from bannocks,
which are thicker and softer. Contemporatry accounts say that medieval
Scotts merchants would bring their own bake-stone and oats with them when
traveling south, since they didn't trust the "sissy" white bread of England.

There is a traditional story of an old woman who heard about a Scotts Army
defeat. Hearing that the retreat was through her neck of the woods, she
gathered her supplies together and made oatcakes which she gave to the weary
soldiers as soon as they were baked, right by the side of the road.

It is said by contemporary accounts also that the Scotts soldiers were
hardier and stronger because they carried their own oatcake supplies and a
bakestone with them, rather than eat stale camp bread.

While these are not documented recipes, Cheese and other food was potted in
late period, and oatcakes are so simple to make that I am unaware of an
historical example of their recipe, although I have read accounts of their
existence.  Somewhere on a disc in Word Perfect I have a paper about
Scottish food. It's such an old version that my 'puter can't interpret it
now. Sigh.

Oatcakes, Potted Stilton   adapted from Farmhouse Cookery...Recipes from the
Country kitchen, Reader's Digest, London 1980.

Oatcakes
1 lb. fine oatmeal (NOT ROLLED OATS...THEY WON"T WORK)
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. melted bacon fat
1/2 pint boiling water

Mix together oats and salt. Combine bacon fat and water. Pour over the oats
and quickly mix  to combine. Let sit a few minutes under a towel to cool
slightly. When just barely cool enough to handle, knead quickly and turn
onto a board dusted with more oatmeal. Give a top-coating of oatmeal and
roll out as thin as possible, dusting with oatmeal all the while. Pinch any
cracks together. Use an oat-dusted glass to cut into rounds (re-roll scraps
if necessary), or make one large round and cut into triangle wedges
(traditional).

Bake at 375 degrees on an ungreased baking sheet 20-30 minutes turning once,
or longer if it's humid out, until they are gently toasted. It may be
necessary to turn off the oven and leave them to dry in order to get the
proper crisp texture/fawn color. Sprinkle liberally with salt when finished.
Serve warm or cold with potted cheese. Store in an airtight container as
they take on moisture readily. Do not pack away hot.

Potted Stilton (or any other strong flavored cheese):

1 lb. mellow Stilton or other cheese, crumbled or grated
4 oz butter, unsalted, at room temp.
1/2 tsp mace
1 tsp grainy prepared mustard
clarified butter
Combine all the ingredients together except the clarified butter and mash
very well to incorporate. pack tightlyinto a crock and seal with clarified
butter. if desired, decorate the surface with carrot flowers, herb leaves,
etc.. and pour on another fine layer of clarified butter to seal. Chill.
Serve cold, with oatcakes.

And that, folks, is what makes Oats an Artform.

Aoife

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
				---Alexandre Dumas

Experience is simply the name we give to our mistakes.
				---Oscar Wilde

Hold tight, Grommit. Think of Lancashire Hotpot.
				---Wallace, A Grande Day Out