SC - Re:I need willowbark

Jasper Fieth cem8780 at omega.uta.edu
Sat Sep 20 03:42:03 PDT 1997

>  > Here comes that throbbing again.
> >try feverfew...
> >kimib2
>
> By this point (upon reaching pain), isn't feverfew a little limited.  My
> favorite, until migraines even overcame that, was to take two bags of
> Sleepytime (chamomile and spearmint) and steep in 1/2 cup of water for 15
> minutes.  Yeah, it's strong, but chances are you'll sleep through the
> aftertaste.
>
> Now, if you need to be functional, slippery elm, licorice root, New World
> pepper varieties, a less strong infusion of sleeptime, chamomile, spearmint,
> peppermint all have some ability to reduce a headache, whether the FDA admits
> it or not. Reminds me of a doctor who told me (when I was less than coherent
> with pain) that plants have no effect on the body.  When I visited her for a
> follow-up, I queried her point and rebutted with the aspirin-like compounds in
> willowbark and slippery elm that lead to aspirin, digitalis gotten from
> foxglove, THC in marijuana, opiates from the opium poppy, and finally, the
> prescription she gave me for migraines -- Ergot (which grows on wheat, barley,
> and rye)!
>
> Derdriu

Aren't we a happy bunch? Migraines being caused by pressure in the
capilaries (either too much or too little), I'd suggest a simple remedy of
Kava Kava, adding Valerian if you need sleep. Chamomile would be a good
addition, but I have found that the addition of mints lessens the veracity
of the herbs.

You can also chew some catnip or ginseng, which has worked on a few of my
patients.

OH! And if you are in the south and suffering allergies, try cayenne and
echinacea, spaced one hour apart, three doses per day (first cayenne, an
hour later the echinacea). This cured (so far) four people at work of
their allergies.

Esko Sola

***
"Sanity is a one-trick horse. Sure, it gives you nice things like rational
thought, but when you're insane THE SKY'S THE LIMIT!!!"  -- The Tick

Do not trifle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

This is Mac.                                      \\\\|////  'Hi'
He wants to travel the world.                     ( O   O ) /
Please add him to your .sig and help him.    ---oOOo--U--oOOo---

"Of course that's my opinion -- I could be wrong." -- Dennis Miller

"I started out Catholic, now I'm an American." -- George Carlin