SC - Disappointment

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Sep 20 23:35:57 PDT 1997

>>Surely you learned how a Roman chef would have dealt with shellfish
which, when not properly treated, would be tough, stringy, and
unpleasant, which are pitfalls common to both mussels and scallops. <<

On the subject of tough fish and shellfish, may I share an experiment?
When I lived in Florida, my Dad liked shark, and usually chose it on our
weekly grocery forays.  Shark may have been eaten in period, I'm not
sure, but they ate whatever they could catch so someone, somewhere,
probably did eat it.  Shark can be a tough fish.  After many experiments,
the solution was to finely dice the fillet, bring a pot of water to a
boil, remove from heat, immediately drop in the shark bits, clap on the
lid, and go away for 5-8 min.  It didn't actually cook, as in being on
the heat, but the heat of the water cooked it.  Then I'd drain it, and
add the bits to a browning dish with butter, lemon juice, and a dusting
of garlic powder.  It went under the broiler for a few minutes.  Of
course, it was best if it had shrimp bits for company. ;-)

And Ras, I agree with Adamantius.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
Courtesy