Re- SC - deep frying

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Mon Sep 22 23:22:52 PDT 1997

LOrd Ras said:  [:-)

After I asked:
<< Was deep frying period? It seems expensive in oil, but I guess in some
 areas olive oil was common.

>Frying was definately period. Whether deep-fat frying or other frying is
>totally up to the nature of the recipe.

So how would you know looking at the period recipe? Are there particular
foods you would fry and others you would deep fry? Why?

> And they woulod NOT have used olive
>oil for this purpose. The best fat for frying (deep or not) was and is
>without a doubt lard and this is what I always use ...

Why would olive oil not be used? Is it a matter of cost? Or is there
some characteristic of lard which makes it better for this, such as
heating to a higher temperature?

>LOrd Ras

STefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com