SC - Shortbread help, please

Wed Sep 24 20:04:24 PDT 1997

>Okay, an update on the shortbread problem.
>
>I tried the original mix, patted down, at 325 until the edges browned.  It's
>dry, it's (after cooling) hard as a rock.
>
>I've tried the "add 3 T water" approach and I agree that the product looks a
>little more like crumbly dough than dough crumbs.  I've patted it down and
>it's in the oven.  But I don't have high hopes it'll turn out any different.
>
>A friend looked up a "Scottish shortbread" recipe for me an dfound a very
>different ratio of fat/sugar/flour (instead of 1-2-4, it works out to 1 1/2-
>2-3, I think.

Now that I can reach my cookbooks, the Frug uses a 1-1/2-2 ratio, The
New Professional Chef uses 1 fat to 2 of all other ingredients plus eggs
for a binder, The Art of Irish Cooking is 1-1/2-2(flour and ground
almonds).  So the ratio approximates to 1 fat to 2 1/2 flour and sugar.
The 1 1/2-2-3 is a good start.  If it is too dry, you should be able to
add up to 1/2 measure of fat without getting to much fat.

I hope that works better than the water.

Bear