SC - Sticking It (Gold Leaf)

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 20:37:09 PDT 1997

<< Can someone please post a procedure for making gold-leaf stick to
marzipan?
 I don't have a lot of leaf, and I need it for this coming weekend for my
 friend's wedding soteltie. Will it stick on it's own, or should I brush the
 areas with egg-white?  >>

When I have used gold leaf for food decorating I have used both egg white and
a very heavy sugar syrup. I find that the sugar syrup works the best if
brushed on the item and allowed to dry until sticky then putting the
gold-leaf on. However, egg-white is satisfactory. It takes more skill and
time to get it right tho'.

I don't know which one is period. As a side-line, to attache gold-leaf to
illumination use garlic juice. It is period and works great! :-)

Lord Ras