SC - Shortbread help, please

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Sep 25 13:59:00 PDT 1997

Mixer, what's a mixer? 8-)  But I have been carefully smashing all the
lumps out with my spoon, so I guess that's what I need to NOT be so
thorough about.  And my oven doesn't get hotter as it goes, 'cause
cookies are about the only thing I DO pre-heat for anymore.  THANKS,
Patsy

PS, I've also taken to using only one cookie sheet for the whole batch--
you add a little time in not being able to set up batches in advance,
but the different sizes and qualities of the sheets I have make for too
much variation, so lately I'm just using Grandma's big flat tin sheet
over and over, rather than mix that one -and- two different sizes of
newer, thicker, edged ones (one of which started life as a non-stick,
too).   I've even been scraping crumbs off, and running cold water over
the back before starting to set on the next batch of dough glops, so the
sheet is starting closer to the same temperature for each batch.
 ----------
| From: capozell at ben.dev.upenn.edu
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: Re: SC - Shortbread help, please
| Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 10:02AM
|
| >ooh, ooh!  would that be why sometimes my chocolate chip cookies come
| >out all raised and solid, instead of really thin and chewy between
the
| >chips (almost like a soft chewy candy texture), the way I -want- them
| >to?  because I'm creaming the sugars and marg. too well, not leaving
| >enough little butter lumpettes (sic)?
| >Chimene
|
| Yep. I always stir the dough with a spoon, not a mixer, and there's
always
| lots of little lumps left.  Haven't had a bad batch in years.  Also, I
| always check each batch after about 5 minutes in the oven - As it gets
| hotter, cooking times get less, and this also helps keep'em chewy.
|
| Raffaella, who's happy friends get cookies from her every year at
x-mas