SC - Composte

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 29 08:28:11 PDT 1997

Aine of Wyvernwood wrote:

> I also avoid blowfish...tho it is mighty tasty, I figured since I survived my
> first encounter,  I would not tempt fate again, same thing with kim chee..
> the next batch might kill me. [grins]
> aine

Opinions differ on this issue. Not all blowfish is fugu, and while the
livers of blowfish, in general, are not a good idea to eat, and almost
always contain some kind of toxins, the degree of toxicity varies
according to species and method of preparation. The blowfish we get on
the East coast of the US, northern half (roughly delineated) aren't
especially problematical, so far as I know.

As a kid I used to catch hundreds of these in Long Island's Great South
Bay, and I always thought the traditional method of cleaning them rather
odd: you generally made a small cut at the back of the fish's "neck",
behind the head, and snapped off the head. If you did it right, the
head, skin, and innards came off pretty much in one piece. I realize now
that the idea is probably to avoid cutting into the liver...

I believe a classic Japanese definition of a quandary goes: "I want to
eat fugu, but I don't want to die."

Adamantius, who adds, "But I wouldn't mind a few blowfish tails, fried
in a beer batter and rolled in shredded fresh coconut."
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com