SC - Apicius references

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 8 07:17:29 PDT 1997

chuck_diters at mail.fws.gov wrote:

>      Could one of the good and knowledgable gentles who have been
>      responding to this thread post complete information for the several
>      versions of Apicius that have been mentioned (I have Vehling, but
>      others might not--so maybe all four:  Vehling, Flower & Rosenbaum,
>      Edwards, and Giacosa)?

The main books containing Apicius material that I own are:

"The Roman Cookery Book: a critical translation of The Art of Cooking by
Apicius" by Barbara Flower and Elisabeth Rosenbaum, copyright 1958 E.
Rosenbaum, pub. 1958 by George G. Harrap & Co., Ltd., London. Dewey
Decimal number 878.9 A642AR
<Sorry, my copy is pretty ancient (well, 1958, I guess) and contains no
ISBN or LoC number...

"The Roman Cookery of Apicius" by John Edwards, pub. Hartley and Marks,
1984, Point Richards, Washington. Text copyright 1984 John Edwards,
illustration copyright 1984 Hartley and Marks. ISBN 0-88179-008-7

I have heard that there are reprints of the Flower / Rosenbaum text
available, but have no other information about that...

In general I feel the Flower / Rosenbaum text is vastly superior to the
Edwards book, largely because Edwards seems to have been laboring under
the overall English culinary miasma that has really only begun to lift
at around the time his book was published. So, the Edwards text contains
recipes which recommend sauteeing in butter, as being more readily
available than olive oil, and liquamen made from canned salmon...I
suggest anyone use it with caution, although in Edwards' defense I have
to say that most of the really wild departures (i.e. a coconut garnish)
are identified as such.

The main problem for some with the Flower / Rosenbaum text is the fact
that it contains virtually no material redacted for the modern kitchen.
Personally, that doesn't bother me a bit, but it can be intimidating for
some.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com