SC - snails and other th

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 10 17:17:14 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

>                       RE>SC - snails and other things.             9/10/97
>
> <snip>
> thing Britain ever did as an empire was to introduce Brussel Sprouts
> throughout
> <snip>
>
> I have no idea about eating snails- knowing only that the evil creatures that
> demolish our gardens and favorite plants are an introduction- escapees from a
> french restaurant (myth?).  And I can't bring myself to try eating them.
> But at my favorite Japanese restaurant we got a strange little green vege in
> our tempura.  Quite tastey- couldn't identify it!  Finally disected the beasty
> enough to realize it was a brussel sprout!  My husband was horrified- he hates
> brussel sprouts with a passion, though I have tried to tell him they can be
> very good- and he had happily chowed on the tempura'd ones!
> -brid

Ah, the old revulsion-after-the-fact thing. Gets 'em every time. I once
served haggis to a dear friend, who pronounced it a yummy sausage, and
wanted more. Only after seconds and thirds did the person discover the
offal truth, and was fully prepared, for a couple of seconds, to hotly
deny having enjoyed it. However, I know B.S. when I am faced with it,
and the poor lady had to admit that she loved liver, hearts, etc., WHEN
PROPERLY DISGUISED.

So, the question is: was your husband at least partially converted, or
was he convinced he had been poisoned? Would he eat tempura of Brussels
sprouts again, even if in no other form? Would he eat green eggs and
ham?

Adamantius, who was planning to go into the whole snails thing
tomorrow...
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com