SC - Soup stock

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 12 06:33:11 PDT 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > Those pesky starches will do the same thing to my beer!  Anything
> else
> > that will devalue a stock?  Salt is certainly a precarious rope to
> > walk.  Beans seem an obvious no-no.
> >
> > niccolo
>
> Well, you can't let it boil for any length of time if there's a lot of
>
> fatty stuff in it. The other stuff is probably pretty much common
> sense.
> Don't season it until AFTER it's done and you know what you're doing
> with it, etc.
>
> For fish stocks, be sure to remove the gills from any fish heads that
> may end up in there. Rumor has it among otherwise excellent chefs that
>
> you can't make a decent salmon stock; you can if you remove the gills
> from the heads and trim the belly fat severely.
>
> Oh. Any spices you include, should be whole.
>
> I'm not sure this helps, but it's what I've got until after I've had
> my
> tea...
>
> Adamantius

Adamantius,

I thank you for your reply.  I have found stock to be one of those hard
to defile things that can be temperamental at times.  Your
recommendations about the fish are useful.  While I make scant few fish
stocks, I shall file this info in my recipe files for those times I do.
The salmon stock does sound intruiging.

thanks again,

niccolo
(two or three whole cloves in a gallon stock will leave them wondering)