SC - Gums Arabic and Tragacanth

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 15 14:26:10 PDT 1997

Greetings!  (Drat digest format where it's harder to quote from posts!)
 Someone mentioned getting gum arabic and thought other names for it
were gum tragacanth, gum dragon, etc.  No, and no.  Gum arabic isn't
gum tragacanth.  While both are used in cookery, gum tragacanth's
primary use in period seems to have been in making sugar paste (modern
day gum paste).  You can't substitute gum arabic for gum tragacanth.  I
would hypothesize that the reverse would also be true, that one
shouldn't substitute gum tragacanth for gum arabic.  One of
tragacanth's uses is as a strengthener.  Arabic has been used to mix
with colorants so that one can paint them onto foods or confections.

When using one or the other, see what the recipe says, then use that
one.  I've been in the presence of sugar paste made with gum arabic.
'Tain't the same thing!

Alys Katharine