SC - Website Suggestions for photos

DarkKnight mason at fxbbs.com
Wed Sep 17 06:42:07 PDT 1997

Christi Redeker wrote:

> The answer to that would be a disclaimer I believe.  Contact all the people you can and ask them permissions.  Then on the website post the fact that these photos were sent to "whomever" and are used without the permissions of the photographer.  And make sure you ask that if the owner of the photo could please contact the webmaster to either give permissions for its use, or ask for it to be removed.  This is what I would consider a standard issue of liability for the use of the photos.  Please r
>
> Another way to do it would be to ask permission, post those that you have permission from and add others as permissions are given.
>
> See what I get for studying law for 4 years.  I put my foot out and wait for someone with more experience in law to stomp on it.
>
> Murkial

The possible solution for this is to have a area set up as a
photographic archive with no paid ads and than it would fall under the
copyright notice below:

"PUBLIC NOTICE: This website is maintained
in accordance with, and by authority of, the following law: UNITED
STATES
CODE TITLE 17 - COPYRIGHTS CHAPTER 1 - SUBJECT MATTER AND SCOPE OF
COPYRIGHT
¤ 108. Limitations on exclusive rights: Reproduction by libraries
and archives (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is
not
an infringement of copyright for a library or archives, or any of its
employees
acting within the scope of their employment, to reproduce no more than
one copy or phonorecord of a work, or to distribute such copy or
phonorecord,
under the conditions specified by this section, if - (1) the
reproduction
or distribution is made without any purpose of direct or indirect
commercial
advantage; (2) the collections of the library or archives are (i) open
to the public, or (ii) available not only to researchers affiliated with
the library or archives or with the institution of which it is a part,
but also to other persons doing research in a specialized field; and (3)
the reproduction or distribution of the work includes a notice of
copyright."

	This little kicker works great.

Lord Ragnar MacHardy of Clan MacHardy

who has a couple of these archives online and never had a problem
Steve Mason
Family Web Services
Web Designs for as little as $50.00
Databases