SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #277

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Sep 17 16:13:35 PDT 1997

>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:34:40 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Mark Schuldenfrei <schuldy at abel.MATH.HARVARD.EDU>
>Subject: Re: SC - Re: Julleran's Sugar/Candy Glass
>
>  If you buy the same kind I do, no, they won't work.  Plastic molds will
>  melt with the high temperature or at a minimum will warp.  The rubber
>  ones probably won't work either because of the high temperature.
>
>  Master Dyfan ab Iago from AEthelmearc made a large sugar swan from
>  melted sugar and used one of the "ice" molds that one freezes water in.
>   I'm assuming it is metal - Never saw it, but I do have a photo of it.
>
>I thought he used a rubber mold, which was thrown away afterwards. I am not
>sure.... I wasn't paying that much attention at that feast.  (I think it was
>the same feast with the hart that bled red wine: a period soteltie).

Nope. It was a rubber ice sculpture mold that he DIDN'T throw away. He was
going to re-use it for the same purpose recently until horrible bout with
Carpul Tunnel Syndrome scotched the idea (did someone say Scotch?). It seems
the sugar is poured in, and the mold must be held at various angles while
the sugar cools enough to stay in it's area. Then more sugar is poured in,
etc.....  The swan is hollow in the end, and we had plans for a procession
of them, lighted from inside with candles, necks decorated with marzipan
rose wreaths. Sigh. It would have been wonderful.

>Claricia made mention of scanning in photos.  Actually, I have quite a
>  collection from over the Known World that began as the photo album of
>  the Interkingdom Guild of Confectioners.  (May it rest in peace!)  If I
>  read Claricia's e-mail aright, she (you!) live in Canada so mailing
>  stuff up there is somewhat iffy.  Anyone live in the US that would want
>  to scan in photos and set up a web site???  If the photo was sent into
>  the Guild, can it be put on a website or does it need permission from
>  the person who took it??
>
>Technically illegal, but in practice it would be harmless.  The photograph
>belongs to the photgrapher, even if they gave you one copy.  You didn't get
>the rights to "make copies".  (Of course, the Web is iffy: is it "making
>copies"?  The jury is, literally, still out).  But any legal action would
>have to show money damages, and I am not sure that people could do that.

I have a flat-bed scanner at work, and I'm the sole employee <heehee>. I
live in North-east Pennsylvania. How can we do this?

>	Tibor

Aoife.

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
				---Alexandre Dumas

Experience is simply the name we give to our mistakes.
				---Oscar Wilde

Hold tight, Grommit. Think of Lancashire Hotpot.
				---Wallace, A Grande Day Out