SC - pilgrim badges

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Fri Sep 19 00:35:02 PDT 1997

Yumitori mentioned:

	Badges - I'd suggest we approach these as pilgrims' medallions, which
simply meant, basically, "I went there and did that," quite fitting, I
suppose, for those declaring their 'journeys' here. Further, we really
don't have to submit the silly thing. The College of Arms as a
multi-kingdom board of heraldic approval is a Society creation, and we
all support being more authentic, neh? In any case, pilgrims' badges are
traditionally informal.

Now, this is something I may be able to help with. I have made a
number of tokens and pilgrims medallions for site tokens. I do
these out of lead-free pewter using soapstone molds. I have done
as many as 300 copies from the same mold and the materials cost
is only about 15 cents to 25 cents per item. The postage would be
more than this. A combination of my inexperience and the medium
limits the fine detail somewhat, but there is also no reason others
couldn't make independant medallions once a design is chosen if
you don't like mine.

If there is interest, I could have some at the next Gulf Wars or
at some of the Ansteorran events. Or I guess we might be able to
post a GIF picture somewhere.

Pewter pilgrim badges were a very period item. Pewter jewelry was
the costume jewelry of the Middle Ages.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com