SC - deep frying

Fri Sep 19 10:47:53 PDT 1997

>>Do you cook your battered flowers in a deep fat fryer?  I've read of
>>these and think that I did some squash ones a looong time ago.  I have
>>a recipe for sage leaves in batter from my German cookbook.  Don't
>>have a deep fat fryer, and wonder if the stuff is good enough to
>>bother looking for one at a flea market.
>
>To which Julleran replied:
>
>>Use a good, deep pot. That's what I do. Works as well as the deep fryer I
>>used to have.
>
>What does the deep frying do that frying in s shallower pot doesn't?

Think of it as boiling in oil.  Immersion in oil heated to the proper
temperature, immediately surface cooks the immersed food and reduces the
absorbtion of fat in the cooking.  This is extremely valuable when doing
anything batter dipped.
Cooking at high enough temperature is the difference between crisp and
slimy french fries.

>This seems awfully wasteful of oil, especially if you are only cooking
>a few items. Someone mentioned that you could filter the oil for reuse?
>How do you do that? Drain it through a colander lined with paper towels?
>What then, is this oil only good for future deep frying or can it be
>used for other things?

The oil is retained and reused.  The heating process keeps it relatively
sterile.  Large particles are strained out before storage.  The oil
should be stored in a sealed container in a cool location to keep it
from becoming rancid.  The retained oil should be used only for deep
frying.

>Was deep frying period? It seems expensive in oil, but I guess in some
>areas olive oil was common.

>Stefan li Rous
>mark at risc.sps.mot.com

I have no references to deep fat frying being period, but it may have
been.  Oil in this context refers to any vegetable or animal fat which
can be made liquid.

Bear