SC - oat recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 19 18:55:10 PDT 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:
> While these are not documented recipes, Cheese and other food was potted in
> late period, and oatcakes are so simple to make that I am unaware of an
> historical example of their recipe, although I have read accounts of their
> existence.  Somewhere on a disc in Word Perfect I have a paper about
> Scottish food. It's such an old version that my 'puter can't interpret it
> now. Sigh.

Aoife, check out Giulielma Penn's Receipt Book. I believe she died in
1694. There's a recipe in there for Oatcakes (two, actually) that may
predate her marriage to William Penn bt a generation or two, which would
make it nominally acceptable as period, more or less. This version is
more like a North English havercake, though. Flat and thin but made from
a batter of pats and spring water. Maybe some salt. Kinda like a cross
between dog biscuits and matzoh. Actually, quite good, especially with
Slipcote cheese. The T.I. article I did a couple of years ago on
preserved travel foods, "The Pilgrim's Picninc Basket", is webbed at
this URL, and has a redaction:

http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/ppb.html#oatcakes

As for your paper on Scottish foods, would you be willing to e-mail it
to me as an attachment? I have a pretty exhaustive set of translators
and text editors. I have to. I own a Mac, and I don't see anybody
bending over backwards to translate OUR stuff ;  ) . Anyway, I have
several things that might be able to open and read your paper, and also
three different versions of WP. If I can open it up, I'll send it back
to you in some format you can read. Deal?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com