SC - Food lore

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 08:55:59 PDT 1997

<< to add to that-If you wack an orange tree with a baseball bat(or other
 similar shaped object) it will start to bear fruit.  To kind of wake it up.
  My grandmothers tree has fruit on it for the first time since it was
planted
 (6years)   Don't know if it works on all citrus trees.
 Ivy~ >>

Given certain gardening practices that have survived the centuries this is
not too far fetched. My gram used to take willow branches and beat the trunks
of the apple trees every spring while grandpa went be hind her and droce an
iron nail into it. Never had a single apple crop failure. :-)

As an aside another bizaare practice of my grandfather was to go out into the
garden on a nice spring day, drop his pants and sit on the bare ground. Why?
Well, he said that if the graoud was warm enough to sit on for 5 mins. then
it was warm enough to plant seeds.. ROFL.

BTW, there are extant examples of tree whipping in woodcuts and illuminations
from the Middle Ages. Unfortunately I do not have sources handy to share.
When I come across them I will post them.

Lord Ras