SC - Re: cane honey

Phyllis Spurr PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Thu Sep 25 12:12:41 PDT 1997

> Date sent:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:05:21 -0500
> From:           L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt <liontamr at ptd.net>

<snip>
> BTW it was used primarily in period by apothecaries, who used it to sweeten
> medecinal mixtures. When it was 'discovered' by the masses, they had to buy
> it from the apothecaries. To this day some consider a spoonful of molasses
> or treacle to be medicinal!
>
> Aoife---brain packed with all sorts of useless trivia.

Just as a note, I grew up in Kentucky/Indiana area, and our
grandmother insisted we were to take "spoonful" of molasses in the
fall and spring to insure our good health.  It couldn't be any 'ol
molasses, it had to be specifically blackstrap molasses.  I can still
taste that stuff!

Phyllis L. Spurr
HL Eowyn ferch Rhys
Barony of Elfsea,