SC - re: late feasts/cooking laurels

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 25 13:19:29 PDT 1997

kat wrote:

> <<<sigh>>> Only 11 more digests to go...  :-)
>
> Good Adamantius wrote,
>
> > It's been pointed out to me (by a costuming Laurel friend) that the East
> > Kingdom has many, many, more costuming, and C&I Laurels than it has
> > cooking Laurels. In the past two years or so five or six Laurels for
> > cooking were made, myself included, but they are still vastly
> > outnumbered. It does seem as if the cook's art is less essential to the
> > SCA experience, for many people, than many other SCA pursuits.
>
> Interesting... until I heard Adamantius' happy news a short time ago, I was under the distinct impression that one COULD NOT GET a Laurel for cooking...
>
> I don't know if this is a Westie thing exclusively; or if it is one of those SCA "urban legends," like "they always knight any unbelted fighter who wins Crown" (which is decidedly untrue!)... but I have been in for 14 years and had it relayed to me on several occasions that cooking was considered a service, and not an art/science.
>
> Any insights on this?  Could this be (like the absence of Rapier Laurels) a West thing?  Or was I just sadly misinformed?
>
>         - kat
>
>         ...who is STILL trying to unravel the disinformation she received as a newbie from the REAL information she has absorbed in the past 10 years...

I remember being told by (well, let's not get into who, if you don't
mind) that the West rarely does a feast, and that, until fairly
recently, neither did several other of the kingdoms. This was quite a
few years ago, of course, and I assumed things have changed since I was
told that.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com