SC - Re: Gunthar, look at this

cole joan jscole at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 28 16:01:58 PDT 1997

> OK... I have asked this three times... and still no answer... so I guess I
> have been barred from the list. I would have appreciated being told
> this...and I believe this is childish behaviour (being banned) for speaking
> my mind.
> kimib2

Please realize that some of us get 200-400 messages a day, and that at least
for long-time net users, the netiquette has always been that a "me too"
message is rude.  (Why is it rude?  Perhaps because lots of people sending
messages that basically amount to 'me too' is part of how a person ends
up with a mailbox filling at the rate of 200-400 emails per day.)  At least
personally, I consider sending a "Nope - I don't know" answer to a posted
question to be nothing more than a 'me too' post.  YMMV (Your Mileage May
Vary).

You shouldn't assume that you are being banned (so far as I know, this does
not happen).  You should assume that no one knows the answer to your question,
or feels that they have anything relevant to contribute towards it.  It may
also be that even someone who did have the answer didn't read 200 of the posts
that simply came on a mailing list because they had to rapidly clean out their
mailbox, so they deleted everything that wasn't personally sent to them.  The
problem of mailbox overflow is only getting worse as more and more people
find the Internet.  Please be understanding.  Really, everyone is not
out to get you.

In service,
Hildegarde